Monday, February 23, 2009

Birthday

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 started out like any other day of my bedrest. At 3:30 I noticed some weird pulling cramps--lasted about 10-20 seconds each and were coming pretty regularly at 10 minute intervals--they were very minor, barely enough to complain about. I called my OB after an hour of this and was told to continue to rest for another hour and call back. During this hour, a 35 minute interval went by were I had no cramps--so I didn't call back. Then at 5:30ish they started up again--every 3 minutes--still painless, but I was starting to get freaked out. I told John to get a book for me, a clean pair of underwear and socks (thinking I'd be admitted for monitoring overnight like last time--that was honestly the worst case scenario that crossed my mind) and said that I wanted to go to labor and delivery regardless of what the on-call OB would advise. John wondered if we should take Caitlin to a friend's house--I said that I just had a strong feeling we needed to get there ASAP--Caitlin would come with us and we contacted a dear friend who offered to pick her up at labor&delivery. Luckily she was out of the room by the time I got examined and they told me that I was dilated to 5-6 cm! I could not believe it--I totally lost my mind--screaming and crying like a maniac. People started coming out of the walls. The neonatologist came to talk to us--that's when I started having some pain that felt a bit like contractions, though weak, and again only lasting 20 seconds, maximum. I took 3-4 breaths and they were gone. An hour later--and probably only 3 contractions later, I was fully dilated and pushing. we could not believe it. Thankfully, my beloved OB made it in time--he exudes peacefulness and that really helped us.

After 2 pushes, it was clear that Baby A's cord was presenting first (cord prolapse, i think) and it was decided that a c-section was the safest plan. So, that's what happened. On the plus side, the nurse aenesthetist (sp?) said I had a "nice small back" and the resident physician said I had "nice sewing skin" so those were nice compliments (read my sarcasm).

Born at 27weeks 5 days gestation
Baby A: Ryan Michael. 2 lbs 11 ounces. 15.5 inches. at 9:29pm
Baby B: Eleanor Elizabeth. 2 lbs 8 ounces. 15 inches at 9:30pm

I still cannot explain why I had nearly no labor pains. I had a very classic labor with Caitlin--strong, long, regular contractions--this was totally different. Anyway, Ryan came out crying and kicking and breathing on his own with good color. Nora came out very pale, dehydrated, anemic and unable to breathe independently. It was also discovered, during the course of the c-section, that Nora's placenta was torn (this is a different placenta than the one that had a slight tear 3 weeks ago--that was Ryan's and it healed)--there were lots of clots and blood trapped behind her placenta, so I had no way of knowing that she was suffering. perhaps giving me a nearly-silent labor was Gods plan to get her out of an unsafe environment? we'll never know. I had gone to my OB appointment 24 hours earlier and had no cervical changes, no signs of labor and a negative fetal fibronectin the week prior.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad they came out alright. Praise God for a painless and safe delivery! I'm praying for you all...

    ReplyDelete