Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday

We spent the day at Ryan's bedside--I am constantly prodding his nurse and talking with her about every little thing.  she's been so very gracious.  We didn't speak with the surgeons today at all, really, so all of the following is based on the nurses observation and also from what she told us that the surgeons told her.
Ryan's peeing a lot still--this is very good for a few reasons--1- it means he is still getting good blood flow to his kidneys and -2-he is peeing off some of the excess fluid (his weight was up again today from yesterday).  today he peed off more fluid than he got put into him via his ivs, so hopefully tomorrow, his weight will be down.  He has been off the dopamine, which was helping him keep his blood pressure up, for the past 24 hours--so, it's good that he's holding his blood pressure up without the meds.  they were also able to go down on his ventilator settings, which is great.  he's awake today, finally.  His eyes are open and he is responding to our voices.
Lastly, according to the nurse, the surgeons are now thinking that this piece of possibly-dead bowel may slough off itself like a scab instead of needing further surgery--we'll talk to the surgeons some more about this tomorrow.  So, there are a few answered prayers here: lower ventilator settings and maybe the dead bowel issue as well.   They really need to get the fluid off him, but not too fast, so let's pray for that as well as continued recovery in the other areas I've mentioned.  
Nora's doing fine as far as I can tell.  She is resting most of the day.  She is still nursing well once per day and tolerating her feeds that they restarted yesterday.  She still hasn't pooped and I really need her to have a healthy poop so that I can be reassured that she isn't dealing with NEC.  She has an eye exam tomorrow to check for retinopathy of prematurity.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jessica and John,
    I've been out of town and just caught up on your incredible ordeal this last week. I want you to know you are in my thoughts and my prayers and my heart breaks for the pain you are enduring. I know there is little to say right now other than to offer my love and support. I will add that I have spent a great deal of time in the NICU and I know it is a place of miracles. It sounds as though little Ryan is already showing his resilience.
    If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call 907-456-1981.
    Love, Beth

    ReplyDelete